Sunday, December 6, 2020

Why are there so Few Nativities this Year?

Every Christmas season I play a game, based on the Christmas decorations I see. For my game, it's minus ten points for every Santa Claus I see, because he's not the true meaning of Christmas, and it's minus five points for every reindeer and light up snowman, because those are abundant where I live and they have very little to do with Christmas. The only way I get points in my game is if I see a Nativity scene. Every Nativity I see is worth 50 points. As the Nativity depicts the Christmas story, seeing it keeps the true meaning of Christmas on people's minds and hearts. It's honestly the only Christmas decoration that's worth any true value.

In previous years when I would play this game I'd score considerably high. Typically when I'd go out, I would see an average of 12 Nativities per drive. This year the number of Nativities I have seen is the lowest ever. As of now, I have seen less than five Nativities total. During an hour long drive to the mall and back, while even taking a different route home, I passed by only one Nativity. That saddens me. Now, while it is not required for believers to put up Nativities, or wear cross necklaces, or dress in shirts with Bible verses, doing these things for God's glory is certainly not discouraged.

When it comes to Christians not putting up their Nativites this year, two bad reasons behind this that come to my mind are "shame" and "fear". Christians should not be ashamed to show everyone that they are believers in Jesus Christ and what He has done, and putting up a Nativity can be a great way to demonstrate this. Paul writes to fellow believers, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes" (Romans 1:16). We should not be ashamed of what God has done for us. Jesus says, "Whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when He comes in His glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels" (Luke 9:26). What a terrible thing it would be to miss out on the everalasting joy at Christ's second coming, simply because we were ashamed to openly proclaim our faith in Jesus. If, for you, showing you are not ashamed of the Gospel means putting up your Nativity, then you should be encouraged in doing so.

What if you're afraid about what will happen to you and your household, if you put up your Nativity this year? I can understand that. I have had personal experience witnessing the desecration of Nativity decorations. I've seen terrible things done to Nativities and houses that display them, but this sense of fear and dread is no reason not to put up a Nativity. If you are a believer in Christ, then you should know that people will tend to not like you or how you celebrate Christmas. Peter writes to fellow believers that they should not be surprised when they suffer for their beliefs (1 Peter 4:12). The early Christians suffered as martyrs for their faith. Perhaps, we as believers should be willing to face the negative pushback that can come from displaying a Nativity. If you do receive negative pushback for putting up your Nativity, then may this encourage you, "If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you" (1 Peter 4:14).

Nativities are a great way to show a household's love for the Gospel, and no Christian household should be afraid or ashamed to show the Gospel by putting up a Nativity. If you strongly believe that your house should put up your Nativity, or you may even feel God is convicting you to be bold for Him and put one up this year, then you should do so. Heed this caution, "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them" (James 4:17). Don't keep your household quiet out of fear or shame this year or any other year. Spread the good news of Christmas on your yard, in your house, at the mall or wherever you may go. If you do this for God's glory, know that one day He will look upon you and say, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your Master's happiness!" (Matthew 25:21).

Go tell it on the mountain
Over the hills and everywhere
Go tell it on the mountain
Our Jesus Christ is born
- John Wesley Work Jr.

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment