Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Revelation 3:20 (I Stand at the Door and Knock)

Revelation 3:20
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with Me.

Knock knock. Can you hear Him, Christian? Is the Son of God knocking on your door? Have you let Him inside, or have you been ignoring His call? The Son has knocked on everyone's door, so where does He stand compared to yours? Is He with you, and the two of you will never be seperated as long as time endures? Have you barred yourself from Him, and chosen to leave Him be? You cannot be idle about this. Jesus has entered through your door or He has not. Where is He? Do you know?

These same questions were posed to a church back in ancient Rome. In a vision from the Son of God, the disciple John was told to write to the church of Laodicea that they were not a Godly church. Through John's written words, God told the church, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Revelation 3:15-16). God is describing this church's ministry, their deeds, as a beverage (likely water as Laodicea had a notably abundant yet poor quality water supply). God says that the work this church is doing does not satisfy someone like a hot drink that settles an uneasy stomach or like a cool drink that refreshes a parched throat. The ministry of the church of Laodicea is not healing nor is it refreshing. It's room temperature and bitter. It's a waste of a drink, so God says He will spit it out of His mouth. What God has done  is tell a church that what they are doing is worthless to Him.

For someone to be told by God that what they do in their ministry is despicable is intense. Perhaps we, as believers living in these days, would not expect God to say something so bold to disgrace and reject someone; let alone a church. Yet, God has this to say about how He speaks to those He loves, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent" (Revelation: 3:19). Do you see that God disciplines and speaks strongly to those whom He loves? He will rebuke anyone, even His own children, who do not follow and serve Him well; those who do not seek Him earnestly and repent of their sins.

After God issues His rebuke on the church of Laodicea He issues this ultimatum, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with Me" (Revelation 3:20). This is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords saying He is knocking on the door of those who say they believe in Him, and yet they have not opened their door to Him. How does a king knock? When a king demands entrance into someone's home, their request does not go unnoticed. Kings knock on doors with authority and strength. They have the right and the power to ask for entrance from their subjects. As God is a good and perfect King, no one has any valid reason to not let Him in through their door. 

How much grief will someone bring on themselves, if they do not answer God's call? God is the creator of everyone, so the door on which He knocks is one of His own making; the one He desires to enter is one He lovingly formed. How prideful can someone be to deny their own maker entrance? Think about this, because at one point in our lives we all were that prideful. That is how everyone is to God, before they let Him enter through their door. Scripture says everyone is as a sheep who has gone astray and decided to live life on their own away from God (Isaiah 53:6). The Master of Masters is calling out to all sheep of the earth, and all of His sheep will hear His voice. For Jesus said, "My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and the Father are one"  (John 10: 27-30).

In how much joy does someone partake, when they open their door to Jesus? If you have not done so, unbar your door and let in your King, so that He may dine with you and be the ruler of your life. He is a good and just King. He has said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest," (Matthew 11:28) and here in Revelation we read He is even willing to make house calls. If we refuse to come to Him, He will come to us, and He will stand at our door and knock. He is a good shepherd who will travel far to save even one lost sinner (Matthew 18:12-14). No one is out of His reach, and those who open their door to Him will experience His blessings. They will live the beautiful life of one as described by king David in Psalm 23:

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
     He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
     He refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for His name’s sake.
 Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
    for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely Your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment