Sunday, September 15, 2019

Joshua 1:9 (Be strong and courageous)

Image result for fear no more building 429
Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

The Israelites arrived at the border of the promise land, and they were afraid to enter because there was an army of giants living there. They ran for the hills before they even dared dip their toes in the rivers God promised for them, so God made them to wander and wait in the wilderness for 40 years. Moses has died, and God has appointed in his place a new man, Joshua. God tells Joshua to gather the Israelites and "get ready to cross the Jordan river into the land [He] is giving to them," to cross the border into the land of giants once again (Joshua 1:2). God tells Joshua, "No one will be able to stand against you [Joshua] all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you or forsake you" (Joshua 1:5). Then God says to Joshua "Be strong and very courageous" and He tells him this twice (Joshua 1:7). 

God says the phrase, in verse 9, "Have I not commanded you?" because He already told Joshua and Moses the command to, "Be strong and courageous" (Deuteronomy 31:6). Joshua is receiving a reminder, because Joshua (like us) needs a reminder. Cosnidering how along with the command to be strong and courageous God also commands Joshua to "keep the book of the law always on [his] lips; meditate on it day and night, so that [he] may be careful to obey everything written in it," we can see that God wants us to remember His commands. We have to meditate on His word daily, so that we can make sure to follow His will, "His good pleasing and perfect will" (Romans 12:2).

Why does God repeat the specific command to be strong and courageous to Joshua three times? One reason could be because Joshua is like us, he's human, and we, as humans, are scared ... of alot of things (too many things). There's no reason for us to be afraid of all of these things.

Here's one thing: Spiders. These smalls bugs are creepy crawly, and some peole stand up and scream at the top of their lungs when they see one. Why? We have no reason to be afraid of any bug. We know that God created every creature and He is in control of His creation. In Exodus, Moses spoke before Pharaoh and told him that God would "send swarms of flies on [Pharaoh] and [his] servants...And in that day [He] will set apart the land...in which [God's] people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there, in order that you may know that [God is] the Lord in the midst of the land" (Exodus 8:21-22). If God once commanded swarms of insects to stay away from His people, is He not also capable of keeping away one spider from touching you? 

Now, I have sensitive skin and it irks me when a bug crawls on even my clothing, but I have begun to start praying in these moments when I see an insect bee-lining for me (get it?) I pray, "Please, God keep it from touching me," and I know God hears my prayers. He is Lord of creation and He can command that bug to turn and go creepy crawling away from me or make it fly just around my head, but never land on me.

Any of our fears can be overcome by reminding ourselves why we are to be strong and courageous. A fear of heights can be overcome, by believing that God is with us and He will not cause us to fall off any cliff from which He is safeguarding us. The fear of losing financial security can be overcome, by believing that God is with us and He will give us everything we need. The fear of public speaking can be overcome, by believing that God is with us and He has given us His words so that we can speak them without shame. The fear of death can be overcome, by believing that God is with us and that those who are His children will not die but live eternally. The fear of giants (our terrifying enemies) can be overcome, by believing that God is with us and He has "overcome the world" and everything in it (John 16:33). 

We have no reason to fear, but if we should fear anything let us fear the Lord, because "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 9:10). 

Some of you might be in a position right now like Joshua was, where you know what you have to do and where you need to go but you are afraid. You and I don't have to be afraid, because God is with us always. Be strong and courageous, and go and do what God has prepared for you to do.

"This isn’t what I’d choose
But it’s where I’m finding You.
When I’m broken and undone,
Your mercy’s just begun
You overcome my doubt.
Your hands are reaching out.
You hold me through the storm,
And I will fear no more!"
- Building 429 "Fear No More"

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment